Saturday, August 27, 2016

Tasks That Could Soothe Bipolar Disorder Symptoms.

  • Frame and display a photo of people who have loved and supported you. Seeing the photo will remind you that you are not alone.
  • Play with color. Color a page in a coloring book (for adults or kids), arrange your books by color, or put together a few colorful outfits for coming events.
  • Dress to feel empowered. Clothes influence us and others, which is why they can be well worth your time, money, and consideration.
  • Take one of your favorite childhood books and read it alone. If you don't own your favorite childhood books, buy them--not for your children but for yourself. 
  • Rearrange the blankets on your bed. A smooth bed is so soothing.
  • Buy a new book. Invest in your future relaxation and happiness (and get to them as quickly as possible).
  • Take a bath. I know that even a 5- or 10-minute bath can reset me.
  • Read poems aloud. You don't have to "get" them. Just give your brain something to chew on besides itself.
  • Go for a brisk walk. Don't think about weight loss; think about where and how you want to be strong.
  • Remove as many small discomforts as possible. Tags in your clothes, underclothes that are too tight, mediocre pillows...They are a big deal. Fix them.
  • In every room of your home, be sure something reminds you of what you love. I don't just mean your kids; I mean something connected to your life-sustaining passion. By the way, I think it is wise to have a life-sustaining passion that is not connected to or dependent on one's children. 
  • Use sunshine. If you're at home and the sun is out, try to move your activities with the sun. My guest room gets great afternoon light, so I sometimes write or read there in the afternoon.
  • Go public (when you're ready). I recently "came out" to most of the people I know--they all know I have bipolar disorder. It's a relief. Those closest to me already knew. But I even extended it to Facebook and made this blog public. I didn't want to hide it if it might help someone.
  • Just say, "I love you." Do this for someone who has never heard it from you. Who knows when he or she last heard it at all?

2 comments:

  1. Such sage advice from one who fights with valor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Becky for being so brave. You are wise beyond your years!

    Lee Thrasher

    ReplyDelete