Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Face of Wellness.

After my diagnosis a few years ago, I felt both enlightened and deeply confused. Part of me said "At last! I understand why I'm different and why so much of life has been so difficult and painful." But the rest of me only had questions:
  • At what points in my life have I been sick?
  • What does mania look like for me?
  • What choices of mine were illness-driven-and for which choices can I forgive myself?
But though I had many questions about illness, I had even more about wellness:
  • Am I capable of wellness if I do everything right? And am I capable of doing everything right?
  • What does wellness look like for me?
  • When have I been well in the past?
  • What's me, and what's illness--and to what degree are these the same? Who will I be when I am well?
I know these are difficult questions. But I'm trying to identify symptoms, this time, of wellness.
  • Low anxiety about ordinary actions like driving or checking out with a cashier.
  • Engaged, happy reading.
  • Moderate energy.
  • Remembering to take my pills.
  • Occasional, special shopping without compulsion.
  • No desperate sorrow or exhausting happiness.
  • Appropriate crying.
  • Connecting with Oliver.
  • Fluid thought.
  • Fluid story telling.
  • Regular writing.
  • Smoother handwriting.
  • Seeking laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment