Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Cage That Soars; The Cage That Sinks.

An image of a black cube of a cage came to mind as I was thinking of ways to describe bipolar disorder. I'll mix my metaphors at bit.

Mania is a cage that soars. The wind blows between the bars. The sunlight is blinding. The air is thin. But the prisoner can touch the clouds.

The person cannot escape what comes hours or months later: the drop. All the organs rise and fight for release. The beautiful landscape is coming too quickly.

And eventually, the cage is in the water. Maybe one fights at first, kicking and biting to escape. Or maybe one is just so tired from the flight. The slow descent shows iridescent and indifferent fish, like other people who are neurotypical and just don't know. The light fades. The bubble stop rushing. This is depression. There is no escape unless someone or something lifts the cage.

Medication can cushion and revive. The truth I'm learning is that medication puts me right on the dock, where I can peer at the sky or the ocean, where I can get sunburned or splashed. It's a parachute; it's CPR.

But I'm still in the cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment