Thursday, July 9, 2015

Reduce Chaos: Organization Questions

I've heard and read that reducing chaos is essential to stability for people with bipolar. As a fairly messy person with a deep connection to objects, I really have to think about this in terms of my space. One of my mantras is Reduce chaos; create beauty. Here are some questions I try to ask myself when I try to reduce chaos in my physical space:
  • What is this? It seems simple, but sometimes, I haven't been paying enough attention to see what has crept into my space and taken up permanent residence without my really knowing it.
  • Do I need it? Why? When?
  • Do I want this?
  • Is it useful and beautiful (from William Morris)?
  • Is it at least useful or beautiful?
  • Could I sell this?
  • Could I give it away?
  • Would soeone else use this more?
  • Would someone else enjoy this more?
  • Was this a gift?
  • Am I keeping it out of guilt?
  • Am I keeping it out of laziness?
  • Should I throw this away?
  • What would Mom say about it?
  • Where can this belong?
  • Is this space accessible?
  • Is this space in the way?
  • Will I remember where I put this?
  • Do I have to buy or find other parts to use this?
  • If I moved, would I bring this?
  • How does this reflect my dreams or my daily life?
I imagine I could use these questions metaphorically too and try to clean up my psychic or mental space.

No comments:

Post a Comment