Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Lies My Brain Tells Me.

One day, I was sick and discouraged. My mom told me on the phone, "You're my brain is lying to you." That was frightening and encouraging. I know now that I can't always trust my brain. Sometimes, it tells me,
  • I'm not a good mother.
  • It's my fault that Oliver has autism.
  • I failed at giving birth, and that traumatized my baby.
  • I'm a burden on all my family.
  • I'm not pretty; people find looking at me unpleasant.
  • I don't deserve love; I've made too many mistakes.
  • I'll never be enough.
  • Josh isn't attracted to me.
  • I'll never be well.
  • I'm not good at anything.
  • I'm not safe and secure; betrayal looms.
  • I'm generally incompetent.
  • I have no joy in my future.
  • I can't be disciplined. 
  • My flaws are so obvious and memorable.
  • I can't admit how I feel. It's risky, and no one wants to know.
  • My mental health team cannot really help me.
  • I'm useless.
  • I will end up alone.

1 comment:

  1. These are all of the things that Jimmy says to himself too. I told him a while back that his brain was lying to him but I don't think he believed me. Moms are smart and brains do lie.

    ReplyDelete