Saturday, March 2, 2019

Lighting Candles.

"She would rather light candles than curse the darkness."
                --Adlai Stevenson about Eleanor Roosevelt

I read the book Eleanor with words and illustrations by Barbara Cooney, who illustrated one of my childhood favorite books: The Story of Holly and Ivy. Well really, it's still one of my favorite books. I wanted to have more of her books.

I have countless blessings, but darkness often surrounds me, and I have darkness within. I hope I am or can become "All that's best of dark and bright" (Byron). Candles won't eradicate the darkness, but they can be bright enough for me to see my own hands or see someone else's face. Enough candles can make enough light for a ball.

What candles do I have in place (but need to relight regularly)? What new candles can I light?

Simply reading Eleanor, an illustrated story, lights a candle. Exploring my small library of illustrated children's book (especially fairy tales) does it too. My childhood held many candles, and I can relight many of them. Taste can do it--apple juice, caramel iced coffee, a mix of white and milk chocolate. Literal candles and fires light up the darkness. Gentle touch can do this too. Diving into a book. Playing with makeup. Rare cuddling with Oliver. The often forgotten sensation of kissing.

The darkness is only one part of me. I can keep it at bay whether that's with a candle-lit chandelier or just a handful of tea lights in a glass bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment