Friday, May 27, 2016

Stop Being Dashed and Do Something!

This is from My Fair Lady. When a character goes missing, all one other character can do is say, "Well, I'm dashed!"

I've certainly felt dashed a number of times, as has my family. I think we tried to stop being dashed and start doing something, especially as the dreadful situations mounted and multiplied.

A couple of months before my diagnosis, I realized that I almost certainly had bipolar disorder. I was dashed. But then, when the report and diagnosis came, the surprise had passed, and I wasn't ready to face some of the realities about the disease--taking medication forever, deadling with side effects, and constantly changing prescriptions...and the fact that nothing would ever cure me. But I did something.

I checked out books, both nonfiction self-help and memoirs. Books were probably my best option for learning about my illness. Josh went to a class for family members. I set up a council of 3 (plus professionals) to help me make decisions. I went to therapy.

I tried to do something every day. I need to get back to that! And I'm open to ideas.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment