Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Choices I've Made to Take Care of Myself.

The first choice I remember making to take care of myself was not to drink alcohol. I'd seen people change. Over the years I became more an more aware about how badly alcohol, drugs, smoking, etc. would affect me and that my obsessive nature would kick in if I weren't careful. This seems to offend some people, but the judgment is on me: I know I can't handle it. I was blessed to find one of the few men in existence who not only had never tried anything but also agreed to join me. This was to make me feel safe and to avoid encouraging a breach. If alcohol were in my fridge, I'd probably reach for it eventually. Now, I know that drugs and drinking are especially dangerous for people who have mental illness, and I feel good about the choices I've made.
I've also chosen to remain compliant with my meds. Unfortunately, I forget a dose fairly often, My friend texts me a reminder every night, and I still miss it sometimes! But I have every intention to take my meds and let them help me. If I feel well, a lot of it is probably thanks to meds.

I've decided not to let books and writing slip away from me. They define me more than any disease can.

No comments:

Post a Comment