Monday, October 3, 2016

Taking Care of Myself.

My husband Josh and my friend Bruce often tell me to take care of and be kind to myself. And it isn't in a vague "Take care" way. They have taken classes and read books and articles to understand what I'm facing. So when they tell me to take care of myself, I take them seriously. But it's not an easy task. Here is some of what I can do:
  • Talk with close friends and family about my illness. Even when I'm stable, it's still a part of me. I know isolation and denial are dangerous.
  • Have a fact checker. If my thoughts seem feverish, dark, or just off, I have a few people I can trust to walk me though the troubling thoughts and help me see reality.
  • Rest. Even now that I'm mostly stable (and we hope it lasts!), Josh often takes a look at me and tells me to go lie down. The quiet and dark calm me, and naps seems to heal parts of my brain.
  • Laugh. This breaks some of the tension I almost always feel. I have some wonderful people around me who can make me laugh and blow apart my sorrow like it's a condemned building.

No comments:

Post a Comment