Friday, April 8, 2016

More about Resistance.

I even feel resistant to writing this, and writing is one of my top reasons for living.

I started keeping a consistent journal when I was 15. Before that, I kept resisting the idea, sure I couldn't keep up. Nobody else seemed to stay with it. But I began to discover people like May Sarton and Anais Nin who did stay with it. I decided, "I can do this. Why not? I'm a writer." And though I've had gaps (usually at the toughest points of my life--when I needed the practice most of all), I'm on volume 156.

I sometimes resist reading. I can't imagine why. Sometimes a book is too dense, and I back away. But now, if a book is difficult, I try to read an easier, lighter book at the same time. Going back and forth can be confusing but interesting.

I resisted friendship for years, especially once I was an adult. But I've been slowly learning that adult friendship is possible if people are gentle and open.

Resisting the healthy and joyful parts of my life will not help me get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment