Sunday, April 3, 2016

Reasons to Love Housework.

Ha! I have been surprised to find that I do enjoy some of the housework...sometimes.

  • Awareness of my home. Since I try to clean up (wrappers, socks) as I move through the house, I become more aware of how it looks, of decor, and of idiosyncratic messes.
  • Discovering buried treasure. Since I'm trying to clean out and clean up, I find objects I'd forgotten or thought lost. Fancy pens and art supplies are some of the best.
  • Creating a better space for the boys. With less clutter, Josh sometimes seems more relaxed. I feel more like I'm taking care of them.
  • Reducing chaos. This is one of my overall goals. Housework can feel symbolic of brain and mind work. Clear a room; clear a chamber in the mind. In the past, I usually didn't notice mess until I was under a lot of stress--then, it was suddenly unbearable. I can start to protect myself from that.
I'll never be a very good housewife, but I'll try to have a better attitude about cleaning up!

No comments:

Post a Comment