Sunday, April 17, 2016

What Opens Me to the World.

Books do. I go to another world, but it sometimes makes my old world seem...better than it was somehow. But a book will often fill me with questions and ideas, and typically, I can't find someone with whom to share those questions and ideas. That's another way of opening to the world--talking when it's risky.

Shows do it. I think about the lives of these touring actors. I speculate about someone other than myself. And shows me give me new ideas about the world and new ways to interact with it. If people can be so talented...what's their story? What do they do every day to improve? How does this affect the rest of the family? These talented people are gifts.

Music does this because I can pack an experience or problem into a song, and it's contained, though precariously. Music is so eclectic, so I can always find something I need. The memories or problems stay in the song until I'm ready for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment