Saturday, April 30, 2016

Ways to Grow.

Isn't this part of the Reading Rainbow song? Okay, how can I grow?

  • Listen to Josh and to my brother James...and to both having a conversation. I usually don't know what they are talking about.
  • Learn about the disorders, especially autism and bipolar disorder, that affect my family. Read the books. Ask the professionals questions. Pass on the knowledge or books to other family members or friends. This will make the disorders lose some of their power because we'll (at least sometimes) be ready.
  • Plow through a long, difficult book. Don't worry about all the vocabulary and allusions; just read it. I'll become and feel like a stronger reader.
  • Figure out how to get more intimacy in my marriage. We're so busy with work and medical issues, but without intimacy, our partnership will weaken, and everything will suffer for it.
  • Vary the kinds of books I read--poetry, essays, short stories, novels, memoirs, and other non-fiction. But at least every other book should be for simple enjoyment--though I know that will help me grow as a reader too.
  • Give myself challenging writing prompts. It's a good stretch.
  • Be brave and open up about myself, maybe finding more allies on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment