Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Writing under All Circumstances.

That's from Natalie Goldberg. She's brilliant, so I listen.

I didn't write when I was going through a major crisis or when our apartment building was on fire, and we had to live in a hotel for a week.

But I need to write, somehow, any time, all the time.
  • airports and airplanes
  • car trips if I don't get car sick
  • waiting in the car
  • doctors' offices
  • manic--let the thoughts race to paper
  • depressed--pinpoint triggers and soothers.
 I need to have my journal with me all the time as I used to do. My main purse is big enough for it. But simply stepping outside can do a lot too.
  • on the balcony in candle light
  • at a picnic table in the afternoon
  • by the pool 
This is why I tell myself to write through it, whatever is happening. Even if I'm dashing down an angry sentence or thrilling over some new, silly joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment